Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kenny's Sermon for Sunday, April 19, 2009

Leaks and Landing Strips
April 19, 2009

Ephesians 5:18 NKJV--- And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.

Ø The Greek implies that we are to be continually being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Ø If we are filled one time, why do we need to be continually filled?
Ø Because we LEAK.

Ephesians 4:30 NIV---
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Ø Grieving God means He is saddened that we are eating garbage when we could be feasting at His banquet table.
Ø It does not mean that He is disappointed with us.
Ø Whenever we choose to SIN… act INDEPENDENTLY living in our own strength apart from dependence upon God… we LEAK and the Holy Spirit is pushed aside by our self-willfulness.

The Power Struggle

Galatians 5:16-17 NLT--- So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict.

Ø As long as we live in this fallen earthsuit, there will be a struggle with who is going to control your life… the FLESH or the Holy Spirit.
Ø Don’t beat yourself up because you feel conflicted. It is what it is.
Ø If the Apostle Paul, the greatest Christian who ever lived, struggled, what hope is it for you and me not to.

Romans 7:15-20 NLT--- I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate. 16 I know perfectly well that what I am doing is wrong, and my bad conscience shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 But I can't help myself, because it is sin inside me that makes me do these evil things.
18 I know I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can't make myself do right. I want to, but I can't. 19 When I want to do good, I don't. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. 20 But if I am doing what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing it; the sin within me is doing it.

Ø Paul is not copping out here and blaming his struggle on sin.
Ø Sin is like gravity pulling on us 24/7.
Ø The Holy Spirit encourages us to trust Him and let Him overcome sin FOR us.
Ø The FLESH argues with Him that “I” can handle this on my own which is the essence of SIN.
Ø After exhausting himself in his struggle vs. sin, the penny dropped for Paul.

Romans 7:22-25 NLT--- I love God's law with all my heart. 23 But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Ø The freedom from sin Paul sought was found in what Jesus had done FOR him, not what he could do himself.
Ø BUT the FLESH is stubborn. It won’t let go without a fight.
Ø That’s why trials and tribulations are our FRIENDS.
Ø They bring us to a place of giving up our attempts to be in control and let the Holy Spirit take charge.

James 1:2-4 MSG--- Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. 3 You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. 4 So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

Ø Floating in water: If you TRY to float, you will sink. You must give yourself up to the water and the water will hold you up.
Ø The second you think you have to HELP the water hold you up, you sink.
Ø The second you think you have to HELP the Lord control your life, you LEAK.

How Do We Keep From Leaking?

Romans 8:1-8 NLT--- So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 For the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you through Christ Jesus from the power of sin that leads to death. 3 The law of Moses could not save us, because of our sinful nature. But God put into effect a different plan to save us. He sent His own Son in a human body like ours, except that ours are sinful. God destroyed sin's control over us by giving His Son as a sacrifice for our sins. 4 He did this so that the requirement of the law would be fully accomplished for us who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.

5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. 6 If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace. 7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. 8 That's why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.

Ø Do you see how vital your MIND is to your life?

Proverbs 23:7 KJV--- As a man thinks in his heart, so is he…

Romans 12:2 NKJV--- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Philippians 4:8-9 MSG--- Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious — the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

Ø All our problems stem from one basic sin…. UNBELIEF!

Romans 14:23 KJV--- For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Ø God says that we died with Christ and we are dead to sin.

Romans 6:6-7 NLT--- Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin.

Ø The sinful nature, the FLESH, is the residue of the OLD MAN.
Ø The old man died with Christ on the cross. He is dead and gone.
Ø BUT when we don’t believe it, he is still alive to us even though he is dead.
Ø ILLUS: Boy who spills his drink at meals.
Ø We plug the LEAKS by choosing to walk in the Spirit.
Ø It’s our CHOICE.

Galatians 5:16 AMP--- But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).

Closing Down the Landing Strips of Word Curses

Ø We were created originally in the image of God.
Ø How did God create the universe?
Ø God spoke… “Let there be…”
Ø God has given our word creative power as well.

Proverbs 18:21 NIV--- The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Ø Our words are either ROUND UP or MIRACLE GRO.
Ø Our words either feed people or poison them.

Ephesians 4:29 AMP--- Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.

Ø Our BELIEF SYSTEM is composed of what we believe about God, ourselves, others and life in general.
Ø It determines how we think, how we feel, and how we live.
Ø It is a mixture of truth and error.
Ø God’s Word is TRUTH. Jesus is the WORD. He is the TRUTH.
Ø It is vital that our BELIEF SYSTEM operates on the TRUTH or we will be led astray and miss out on the abundant life Jesus died to give us.
Ø WORDS are the substance of our THOUGHTS.
Ø WORDS also have a profound effect on what we THINK.
Ø Therefore, we need to be very careful about the WORDS we SPEAK and HEAR.

Proverbs 26:2 NIV--- Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest.

Ø Birds hop around on the ground seldom resting in one place as the look for food.
Ø WORDS are like birds looking for a landing strip in our soul.
Ø Encouraging words do just that… put courage into us.
Ø BUT “word curses” have the opposite effect. They can suck the life right out of us.
Ø How many of us to this day still remember hurtful words spoken to us once upon a time?
Ø But in Christ, we have a blessed promise:

Isaiah 54:17 MSG--- No weapon that can hurt you has ever been forged. Any accuser who takes you to court will be dismissed as a liar. This is what GOD's servants can expect. I'll see to it that everything works out for the best."

Ø satan is called “the accuser of the brethren.” He is a liar.
Ø But if you don’t believe the TRUTH, that lie will worm its way into your heart.
Ø And as you think in your HEART, so are you.
Ø You will become that lie. You must guard your HEART.

Proverbs 4:23 NLT--- Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do.

Erasing the Word Curses

Ø Be careful little ears what you hear. Be careful little tongue what you speak.
Ø Word curses can cling to us like beggar lice so we need to clean them out.
Ø Let’s do it. Pray aloud with me:

PRAYER TO DESTROY WORD CURSES

Lord, I loose the influence and the effects of all word curses (known or unknown) spoken about me, to me, or by me. Forgive me for word curses I have spoken upon myself. I bind myself to the truth of the Word which tells me I can do all things through Christ, Who strengthens me. I bind myself to the truth of the Word that Jesus has given me His peace which the world cannot take away. I bind myself to the truth of the Word that all things work together for my good. I am not limited by anyone else’s opinions of my life and my abilities unless I choose to come into wrong agreement with such limitations. I loose every wrong agreement I’ve ever believed and entered into regarding negative words spoken to me, by me, or about me. I bind myself to the truth of the Word that I am a new creation in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things are new and waiting for me to receive them. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Ø Once you kill the weeds, you must apply PRE-IMERGENT.

Psalm 141:3-4 MSG--- Post a guard at my mouth, GOD, set a watch at the door of my lips. Don't let me so much as dream of evil or thoughtlessly fall into bad company. And these people who only do wrong — don't let them lure me with their sweet talk!

Psalm 19:14 NLT--- May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

Share YOUR Good Stuff

If you would like to announce some GOOD STUFF of your own, simply post a comment and I'll publish it on Kenny's Stuff. All of you reading this blog, PLEASE OPEN THE COMMENTS to share in the stuff others are sharing. Blessings!













No comments: