Monday, May 4, 2009

Papa Ponderings

Have you ever been addicted to a TV show? I watched “Lost” for a couple of seasons until it got to be really weird. You would think that a handful of survivors from a plane crash trying to get off a desert island could only last a couple of seasons, right? No. They have escaped and then returned to the island to get “lost” again for several seasons now. What’s up with that? And the island has all this mysterious twilight zone stuff going on like a whispy dark cloud-like doomaflitchy that kills people and polar bears on a tropical island. Wow!

I’ve been wondering why the show keeps people hooked. Then I realized that my journey with Papa is a lot like “Lost.” I know there is an “answer” to all His mystery, but I can’t quite get a handle on Him. Just about the time I think I’ve got Him figured out, He upsets my apple cart. Why would people who think He doesn’t exist have lots of money and perfect health while people who have faithfully served Him struggle to make ends meet and suffer from cancer? If Jesus is the only way to Papa, then why does God allow all these other religions to deceive people and lead them astray? Why is there suffering in the world? Why do children starve in some parts of the world and in other parts they die from obesity? Mysterious, huh?

“Some things are hidden. They belong to the Lord our God. But the things that have been revealed in these teachings belong to us and to our children forever. We must obey every word of these teachings” (Deuteronomy 29:29 GWT).

Mark Twain once said, “It’s not the things in the Bible I don’t understand that bothers me. It’s the parts I do understand.” I understand that He is God, and I am not. I may not be so bold as to say I want to be God, but I sure do like to give Him advice on how I think He should do things. I know I should love everyone, but I don’t love like He does. I know I should forgive quickly and fully, but I don’t always do so.

I would like to put God in a box so I could control Him, but I haven’t found a box big enough yet. I can never quite get to the place where I give up hope than I can get a handle on how He works, and so my pursuit of God continues. Maybe that’s the way Papa wants it. Maybe in my quest to squeeze Him into my box, I learn a little bit more about Him. Maybe the next bit of information will be the key that unlocks the treasure that He is. Maybe that’s why Papa is okay with my questions and doubts. Maybe that’s why people are so enamored with “Lost.” The thrill is in the pursuit. What would be the fun in having Him all figured out?

Jesus said, “For the Son of Man came to find and restore the lost” (Luke 19:10 MSG). Maybe in our search for Him, He finds us, not the other way around. Maybe He has a sequel for “Lost.” Maybe He will call it “Found.” And there’s no maybe about it. That show will last for eternity.

No comments: