Monday, October 26, 2009

The Graceline

I performed a wedding ceremony this past Saturday at the same time my Clemson Football Tigers were playing the Miami Hurricanes. Of all the blessings Papa has given us in this technological age, TiVo has to be the best of them all. I recorded the game and planned to sit down and watch it after the wedding. My daughter, Kia, called me right before the ceremony began and asked if I was watching the game. I said, “No! I’m at a wedding and don’t tell me anything about it. I’m TiVo-ing it. I don’t want to know the score!”

“It’s really exciting!” she said.

“Thanks, Kia. I appreciate that,” I responded sarcastically.

We arrived home later that evening. We usually leave the TV on to keep Gracie company. As I take my coat off and head to the closet, I hear a sports announcer say: “What a game down in Miami this afternoon! Clemson pulls it out in overtime, 40 to 37!”

My heart sank. Watching a sports event after you know the score is a little bit like kissing your sister… not very exciting. Nevertheless, Wanda and I decided to watch it anyway just to see how them mighty Tigers survived the hurricanes down in Miami. Via the blessing of TiVo, we ran thru the commercials and the time between downs. We would watch the play and then fast forward to the next. It was great.

In the overtime, Miami got the ball first and kicked a field goal. Miami 37, Clemson 34. Clemson’s first two plays net them a yard loss, and it was third down and eleven on the twenty-six yard line. I looked at Wanda and said, “If I didn’t know we had already won, I’d be a little bit nervous right now.”

In this exciting game, there were like eight ties and/or lead changes. It was back and forth. You know, kinda like life. Sometimes you’re ahead, and sometimes you’re behind. Sometimes the breaks go your way, and sometimes they go against you.

In the game of life, I’d be a little bit nervous, too, if I didn’t know that because of Jesus we had already won the game. Jesus overcame sin and death on the cross and rose from the grave to assure our final victory. I don’t care what the score is now. The final score will be in favor of those who put their trust and faith in Him.

Sure, there are times when I look at the scoreboard and get discouraged. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever catch up with all the bad breaks and busted plays going against me. That’s when I remind myself that the victory is already won. When it’s all said and done, we will stand with Jesus in His victory. He will wipe away every tear and right every wrong. And then as the Clemson Alma Mater says: “Then the Tigers roar will echo o’er the mountain heights.” Or should that be, the Lion of Judah? Either way, we don’t need to get nervous since we already know Who wins the game.

No comments: